Skip to main content

Dear Friend

Disclaimer : This is not a love letter whatsoever. If you got something else better to do, well, go!
Sod off!! (courtesy of Cal Lightman. LOL)




Dear Friend,


I thought about talking it out.
But I may make a fool of my self.
Or make a fool of you.
So I decided to write it down
thinking maybe you would read it.
And if you don't, well, at least I've got it out from my system.

So.. Here it goes.

It's been couple of years since we first met.
Vaguely remember those days,
we were partners in crime.
At least to me, you were.
I saw myself in the past, and I barely remember how it felt.
I think I've outgrown myself since then.
And maybe the same things happen to you.
Things happened. To you. To me.
Life changed. People come. And go.
You grew.
But the thing is, we grew apart. Didn't we?

I remember like it was yesterday.
When I realized I couldn't hold on to your words.
Not like before.
Well, I thought friends are loyal to each other.
They meant to share things. Share your ups. And downs.
But your stories remain untold.
And you went your own way.

Maybe it was my pride you hurt.
You said it without words, you didn't need me as much as I thought you did.
Was it the vantage point of our friendship?
Or was it when you asked for advices
but in the end you did what you think was best
and willingly ignore everything I said?

I heard so much about ppl who fell out of love.
They said it was the worst feeling ever
because they never fell out of friendship.
Well at least when you fell out of love, you know it once and for all.
That it is really the end.
But when you fell out of friendship
you never knew when would it be over, really.
You kept hold on and wishing, that unlike with lovers, friendships will never end.
You kept your hopes up.

I did.

Like when you said you would be joining us for this whole year.
I was scared and happy altogether.
Scared, that if I hope too much,
the disappointment would suffocate me
to the length that I would forever give up.
But also happy.
Because a part of me thinking, maybe, just maybe,
we could be the old us!
Hey, I might get my partner in crime back!
Or so I thought...

I am so sorry I didn't understand your concept of togetherness before.
I thought it was about giving me, us, a bit of yourself
and I, we, would give you a piece of myself, ourselves, for you to keep.
I thought you were about to chime in the late conversations,
sharing any worth-to-tell story of your days,
telling an anecdote of childhood,
giving me a piece of your mind on matters,
well, like I said before, giving me a bit of yourself,
everything, anything, that would give a hindsight of you
and who you really are, inside.

But I remember you hinted to me that everything was only a waste of time.
That our chatters was nonsense.
Unimportant. To the extent of full of crap?
You said you need to concentrate and you couldn't
because our twittering was not 'compatible'
with your studying mood.
So we keep it low, for a while.
Until you said that we need to shut our holes up
when you were.. watching something.
Was I wrong if I take it you like your 'stuff' more than this so-called friendship?

I remember some of your 'moods'.
After the early 'working-mood'
you got 'studying-mood' which I've mentioned before.
Then you got this 'skinny-wanna-be' mood.
And soon following the 'dark-moment' mood.
Didn't you understand that one's dark moment affect the others?
The scenarios were always the same:
You entered the room. I smiled and greeted.
And you gave me your best-sour-looking face ever.
Was I wrong for not being able
to predict when you would like the smile and greet
and when you don't?
Was I wrong for not being able to read your mind?
Was I wrong to even think that maybe,
this smile and greet maybe not suitable for you?

Oh, oh, I remember that day.
When I tried to talk it out.
Let alone my eyes, you didn't even look at my face.
You busied yourself arranging your.. papers?
Ohhh I remember many times I tried to talk you out.
You answered immediately, given me the thing I wanna heard.
But does it come from yourself, or merely for shutting me out.
Don't you know that problems kept inside are still problems?
That don't self-solved.
Don't you know that it's okay for friends to quarrel?
It's okay to disagree? It's okay to have different point of view?
Don't you know discussion meant to give both party a win-win solution?
Was I supposed to be happy when you gave me the 'right' answer?
What I want is a view to your soul.
So I could understand. So I could reach out to you.
So I could be a good friend. A friend, for the very least.

I remember one day.
When you were about to leave the house and I asked where are you going.
You, you lied straight through your teeth.
You told me you got a.. what? date?
(An effin date????? What am I to you? A mouse?)
While what you did was studying somewhere else.
Hey! What's with you?!
Why your first reflect was to.. lie?
Have you ever thought why NOW I never asked where you were going
or where have you been?
Because I didn't wanna hear another lie. Unnecessary lie, if I might add.
So now, out of politeness, I held my tongue, and keep quiet.

Disappointment leads to another disappointment.

I remember one day when you were in friendly mood.
I talked to myself this was gonna be one awesome day.
Two friends going somewhere for fun, just like the old days.
Well, my friend, I hung my hope too high, I did.
Because when I thought you were there for me,
you were busy with your phone.
We walked side by side, but it felt like a lone walk after all.
At least if I went alone, I know I preferred to be alone.
Better than having someone who's there but not really THERE.
And that day turned out to be NOT awesome, at all. LOL

I remember the time when we're supposed to study.
But you had lost interest in study entirely, hadn't you?
You keep doing your useless 'stuff'.
How I wish I had your early days here filmed.
You would see how your act today contradict yours yesterdays.
But one thing remain the same, I, we, are still a distraction for you.
Fun, or no fun, I wasn't supposed to share it with you, was I?

Many other little things..
I called it 'daily-disappointment'
that keeps us apart.
Little things with trash can, dirty dishes, washing machine.


But one last straw is when you choose to ignore our friend.
You were there.
You went practically NOWHERE, for God sake!
You should be the one who seen it first!
But no. You.Are.Busy. With your self.
And when you realized what's happening under your nose,
you choose to IGNORE it.
And that, my friend, is the last straw.
Because it's okay if you disappoint me,
for one more wouldn't add much different to those I've piled up.
But ignorance towards other's sorrow?
Even put your useless pitiful self indulgence above your friend's distress?
Too far, my friend.

For short, befriend to you is like touching a hotplate.
You know, the one that usually replace the ordinary gas-stove.
In a gas stove, you could see from the existent of flame.
Then you know it's turned on.
And if I touch the flame, it would be hot
(and I would be extremely super-stupid if I did)

But a hot plate, you couldn't see it's on or off by merely seeing the platter.
I might as well find out by touch the surface, but I could get burned.

You, my friend, is a hotplate.
I tried getting close to you, but many times I found myself 'burned'.
Sometimes I glimpse of you got me hoping that maybe next time
I could understand what you really are.
But that next time, I got myself 'toast' all over again.
So to prevent myself from getting burned for testing your 'mood of the day'
I might as well stay away.
And it helps.
It got easier and easier by days.
There's no more sadness. Anger. No more disappointment.



Maybe they were right after all.
The other side of coin of love
is not hatred.

It is indifference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When God Made a Promise

“I know this is too fast. And please don’t ask me why, because I don’t have the answer. I don’t know why.” “I won’t ask you why. Because I know.. It’s God.”   Wkwkwkwkwwkwkwkwkww duh supershy padahal biasanya ga tau malu. I’m still getting used to this. But those who viewed our IG feed and saw the pic posted in FB would know what this is all about. The Promise of God. It’s been there, mentioned the wholeee time in my earlier posts, yet unnamed. I’ll try to recall the whole story. Some details would be lost in translation because there are wayyyy TOO MANY. Haha. Fyi. I’VE BEEN WAITING SOOO LOOOONG TO SHOUT THIS OUT LOUD. So, here goes. Last Sunday, R asked me out to dinner. A few days before, he’s mentioned this fancy place and I calmly (I think) said, “Yes, yes why not” while inside I was [insert screaming emoji here] knowing that this is not a normal dining experience. OMG. I was so glad it’s through a text message, otherwise he would see me SCREAM

The Boy Who Showed Me My WHY

So last week, the entire school left Redding for ministry trip around the States. I went to Phoenix for 8 days and came home to school with tons of testimonies of healing, people set free, delivered, and experiencing the love of the Father in the most tangible way. But here’s my personal take on the trip to Phoenix, AZ. I met a boy and this divine appointment marked my life forever. I told God (and my team mates), if the reason of my entire trip, all the whirlwind of fund raising and preparations, was just for this one moment with this boy, I would do it all over again.  So on an evening, I was told that I would go to minister to kids in a home church the next day. (On prerequisite of being in the trip with Bethel people is a heart that is always ready with a smiley YES to whatever comes next. HAHAH. So many last minute change, you could be blindsided by the suddenness of if. Or you can take it as an invitation to lean on the Holy Spirit leading. It’s nerve-wrecking for a bit, but once

I Belong to The Youth

SO! I don't know where to start. But I certainly could say that THIS is not the end. God is not done yet. In fact, earlier today I was discussing things with Ijah and we both agreed on something : we are on an accelerated roller coaster ride. Faster than ever! Higher than we ever been before! There are milestones in life. Like moments when you graduated uni, or when your PR is approved. When you moved overseas or going back for good. Moments that marked a change in the season of life. But there are other kinds of moments : intangible, but leaving marks so deep your brain might let go but your soul never will. And last week was THAT kind of moments. A series of events that, combined together, was just.. Well. I couldn't find A WORD to describe it best. But I would try my best to re-tell the story. Here goes. (Beware. It's gonna be long) I was considering a one day leave, a half-day plus another half-day, or simply a 2 days leave to attend Empowered21. If you'